Tuesday, April 29, 2008

10 Movies That Made Me Cry, But Shouldn't Have

I'm an easy crier. Sometimes it's good to cry (like funerals, or diamond commercials) and other times it's just stupid. Here is a list of the top ten movies that made me cry, and I'm really, really embarrassed by it.
1. Love, Actually. Point of tears: the entire last fifteen minutes of the film.
I loved Four Weddings and a Funeral. I had a little Hugh Grant crush at the time. I looked up Georges Sand in my Encyclopedia Britannica after Impromptu just to see if those crazy kids made it (they didn't). Love, Actually doesn't have enough Hugh in it. What it does have is Liam Nielson reenacting the Titanic "Jack! I'm Flying!" scene with his son. I wept loudly from sheer frustration, choking on the words "I don't like this movie!!!". I might have thrown up a little too. A cry of hysteria.
2. Coyote Ugly. Point of tears: When the girls dance on the bar for the first time.
I was 26 when I caught this on cable. I thought to myself, "God, I am glad that's not me. Look at those shallow, deluded girls. Caught up in the misogyny machine and they're too stupid to know it...although it does look fun. I could do that....but I can't dance. Also, I'm too old. I'm OLD!!!!! TOO OLD FOR BAR DANCING IF I COULD DANCE!!!!" I then had a good, long cry as Tyra Banks danced to Pour Some Sugar on Me.
3. The Last Temptation of Christ. Point of tears: when Jesus and the Apostles enter Jerusalem. As an ex-Christian, I am familiar with the story of Jesus, beginning to end. As an ex-Baptist, I was to find salvation in the Blood of the Lamb. Needless to say, that arrangement didn't really pan out for me, but I hold a great deal of respect for Jesus's work. Anyway, watching this joyous entrance to the city where he meets his fate, with a soundtrack provided by Peter Gabriel, creates in me that rarefied happy/sad cry.
4. The New World. Point of tears: the opening sequence. I love, love, love Terrence Malick. He is my favorite Texan. His movies aren't for everyone, though. He can say too little, his edits are not quickly made, his characters are not extraordinary. But his imagery is poetic, and this film, his rendition of the Captain Smith/Pocahontas love affair, encompasses so much more than just two lovebirds. A beautiful film, and a wonder-filled cry.
5. Far and Away. Point of tears: Tom Cruise's death. Now, I'm not one for achey-breaky hearts. I'd rather roll my eyes and blow smoke into their corny faces. But this one came around at the right time and had all of the right elements: Opie directed it, Oklahoma is the prize, and OMG it's true love. She brings him back to life! What can I say? Everyone has a favorite flavor of candy. A cry of relief.
6. Superman Returns. Point of tears: the opening sequence. What is it with me and titles? A cry of welcome.
7. Star Wars: Episode III-Revenge of the Sith. Point of tears: Anakin/ Obi-Wan's battle.
I've seen every Star Wars film in the theaters save the first. My point? I have a vested relationship with this franchise, and dammit I was glad to see the end. A cry of exhaustion.
8.Every Single Disney Movie Ever Made. Point of tears: any/all transitions. When Aerial looked up at her father as she turned into a human at the end of a Little Mermaid? When Abu was knocked unconscious when he and Aladdin were banished into the snow? When Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl remembers the good times with her owner, set to a song sung by Sarah McLachlan? Yes. All yes. Cries of yesterdays, and tomorrow.
9. Brokeback Mountain. Point of tears: Ennis clutches Jacks old shirt. This movie got tied up into so many different knots. It's a monolith now. But when I saw it, before it became a standard, it was sort of a simple film. The last ten minutes are hard on a body. A cry of sorrow.
10. Apollo 13. Point of tears: when they blasted off. I have no idea why I began to cry when these astronauts were rocketed into space. Maybe it was because they all wanted so badly, and it's nice to see someones dreams come true. Of course, we know they're in for a bad ride, so maybe the gladness is tempered with foreboding? A cry of forbearance.

So that is that. There will be more inconsequential tears over silly moments, no doubt. But even I can't tell where or when at this point. Try not to point and laugh.

No comments: