Thursday, April 24, 2008

Born Taking a Nap

I used to think that Steve Martin was really, really funny. It's not in your face, farts-n-barf, let's laugh at the drunk/woman/handicapped fare that's making the rounds today, but it's still pretty good.
Funny, yeah? So when did Steve turn into a boring old man? I think it was around here somewhere:
That's the biggest laugh of the whole film, Bowfinger. A film he wrote. He also wrote an autobiographical novel, Born Standing Up, in which he recounts his rise and fall as a stand up comedian. Here are the not so funny nuts and bolts of making a comedy genius: he is a boy, he is a young man, he is an old man. Ha ha ha. I couldn't read it all, to be honest. I found other things to be more important, like searching for coins in the depths of the couch so that I could buy Bratz tattoos at Wal-Mart. My supply had run terribly low. Good for sleepy times.

A little while ago, at a dinner party, a friend of mine asked me if I had read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert yet. I said no, she said you must, and I have now read it. Was my time wisely spent? Will I see the film version of it starring the beautiful Julia Roberts? Did I even get to pray, or love? No. I wanted to like this book, a memoir of a woman's' journey of self discovery in Italy, Indonesia and India wherein she follows the dictum's of the title in order. All I came away with was a more fervent fear of age and wisdom. Gone is ignorance! Farewell impulse! Woe the day! Good for for most, excluding me.

No comments: