Friday, August 1, 2008

Beauty and the Beast


I have had, as of late, a difficult time finding a book to read. I have tried everything but nothing suits me. I can only place the fault on the last book I read.
I chose Pigtopia by Kitty Fitzgerald by pure circumstance; I liked the cover illustration. I read this short work of fiction because I had to (stuck on the airplane/at the airport). Pigtopia is the story a deformed man and teenage girl, their unlikely friendship, their even more unlikely crime, and of his death. Jack Plum, the freak, bears a likeness and connection to swine which causes him to pig-speak and pig-think the world. Holly, the girl, is prudish, selfish, experimental and vain. They meet because of his love and her curiosity but this isn't a love story. There is a terrible Mother, an absent Mother, and very bad friends for this pair to contend with, along, of course, with pigs.

Caught as I was, I had to finish the story and now it's been over 30 days without another book of any satisfaction. Jack and Holly commit one of the most shocking acts I've read in a long time, and I am too sensitive to ugliness for my own good. Good for judging books by their covers.

No comments: