Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hard Candy


I'll be honest and admit that I miss the old Madonna. I thought she was really fun and smart and inspired. But I read the writing on the wall the day when I saw this coverpage. Since then, she's gone from being the lovably fucked up fuck me fuck you Madonna I knew and cherished to a....boring and tiresome older woman. Where did your funk go, Madonna? Can one not age gracefully, while maintaining some sort of continuity? I understand that people change, but Madonna is not a person like you and I. She is the invention of a lonely, repressed, exhibitionist kid from Michigan and apparently that kid is now a cranky hag (my heart!). Children's Author? Kabbalahist? African Adopter? Happily Married? Madge? Esther? Hoo doo Madonna. Hoo doo. Now she's got another album coming out and I, because I can't let go, will go out and buy it.
This is my prayer: Please, please let her overcome her trite politics. Please, please, let someone give her some warm tapioca, Tivo'd Wheel of Fortune, and a large diamond encrusted mirror so that we will be spared her vanity, may she be at peace.
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permissions of another.

No comments: