Sunday, July 20, 2008

Personality #48: Hater

Like most households, we have a routine in the morning that centers around the act of waking. For our part, my husband and I drink coffee and watch 15 or so minutes of the Today show in the bedroom. I suppose that ostensibly we're also watching Channel 2 for local weather and news, because in "my neck of the woods" Julie Chin in a little burst of sunshine and Erin Kristie's hair and makeup fascinate me. But what I really, really like to do is to lie in wait for Anne Curry.
The boobs on the Today show are bland as pudding; I'm talking to you Lauer. Their topics (Should You Save Money for Retirement?) push the borders of inane/offensive/boring and the "hard" news is terrifyingly soft. What gives me that extra something over my Folgers is a force of bad journalism, a horse of many colors, a fashionista of the damned-Anne Curry. So many questions explode in my brain when she is on screen. Where does she come from? Is her closet arranged in alpha order? Is she even literate? As a way of explaining La Curry, I think of her as a sufferer of Multiple Personality Syndrome and try to identify which personality she is at any given moment. Like the lady herself, it's amusing as it is pathetic.

Personality #17. Team Member. As a professional, Anne will go to any lengths to prove her importance within the NBC family. Even when her family chronically sends her far, far away and then laughs at her. She makes a good show of bucking it up, but you know she knows what they are thinking.
"I'm still heeeeeeerrrrrrre!" In Antarctica.

Personality #54. Serious Journalist. Oh her grave tone of voice. Her furled brow. The grand judgement statements letting us know she cares. If only she could get by with posing alone this woman could save the world.
Way to go, Anne. Way to go.

Personality #378. Human Being. In a bold move Anne has decided to display not only her sense of humor (!), her uncanny ability to read words while looking at a camera, but she also gives snaps to the fashion forward nerd in all of us. This, finally, is the Curry!


Outside of being black and male, Hardaway's mug is exactly like mine when watching Anne.

No comments: